Become an RFDS Medical Officer - Aeromedical
A rewarding career
This section is a placeholder for the EVP statement which is being developed.
Provide crucial medical support to people when they need it most
As an RFDS QLD Aeromedical Doctor, you will be at the forefront of providing essential retrieval and pre-hospital medical services alongside our esteemed aviation and flight nurse teams. Your medical expertise will be vital across the vast and varied landscapes of regional, rural and remote Queensland, where the demand for healthcare is diverse.
You will be a vital member of a small, dynamic team, working in various environments where your skills where they are most needed.
Your work as an Aeromedical Doctor will expose you to a wide range of medical scenarios, offering substantial procedural experience across a spectrum of cases, including paediatrics, obstetrics, gynaecology, and more.
You will deliver care to a broad demographic, encountering patients of all ages and clinical conditions. Your practice settings will range from compact rural clinics to the expansive fields of cattle properties, challenging and expanding your professional capabilities. This role is not just about medical proficiency; it's about adaptability and the ability to provide critical care in the most unpredictable and underserved settings.
What does it take to be a RFDS Medical Officer - Aeromedical?
- Registration with AHPRA as a Medical Practitioner
- Minimum five years post-graduate experience
- Fellowship of ACEM, ACRRM, ANZCA or CICM (Senior Registrars are encouraged to apply)
- Sufficient experience in critical care medicine to meet credentialing requirements with QLD Health (Emergency Medicine, Anaesthetics, Intensive Care and Paediatrics).
- Emergency experience ≥ 6 months
- Anaesthesia experience ≥ 6 months
- Intensive Care experience≥ 6 months
- General Practice or Primary Health Care ≥ 6 months
- Paediatrics or basic obstetric experience
Previous experience in Aeromedical Retrieval is ideal but is not a requirement.
Looking for an opportunity to learn?
The Student Placement Program facilitated by RFDS (Queensland Section) is a one or two week placement available to university students in Queensland studying medicine.
The RFDS Queensland Section offers medical placements to students attending the following universities:
- Griffith University
- James Cook University
- Centre for Rural and Remote Health James Cook University
- University of Queensland
- Bond University
For Registrars, working with the RFDS is a fantastic opportunity to hone in on clinical practice while managing patients autonomously. You will be exposed to clinical scenarios that you would not typically come across during hospital training.
Benefits of working for the RFDS
- An attractive remuneration package of $290,000 - $393,000 - rewarding additional qualifications and years of experience
- Salary packaging - $18 500 and Super (in addition to remuneration package)
- Flights and Accommodation and FIFO Allowances of $23,000 for Charleville and Mount Isa or;
- Relocation allowances and remote area allowances of up to $50,000, where applicable
- We provide extensive and supportive orientation, training and development programs
- Work with people who are passionate about our purpose and proud of their contribution
- Commitment to support your professional development with paid study leave and annual professional development provision
- Employee Assistance Program Advice for staff and their families
Where you could work
RFDS Medical Officers - Aeromedical can work at any of the following bases:
- Mount Isa