The RFDS in QLD
Graphic: Health promotion
Health promotion underpins all of the RFDS's health services covering two specific areas:
• Health promotion/illness prevention
• Community capacity building
One of the main promotions is the special health field days held in smaller locations like isolated stations/properties, mining communities and tourist resorts. These build skills to help people better manage health issues in the remote context.
A more recent initiative has been to implement projects aimed at building community capacity around managing health issues by:
• Increasing community awareness of the factors which create healthy lifestyles
• Strengthening the capacity of each community to identify and address issues of concern to them
• Increasing the level of participation in healthy activities
These initiatives are supported by the professional development of employees, along with training and support of other health professionals to ensure the health service delivery remains of the highest standard.