Graphic: Flying Doctor Day
On Tuesday 17 May, the Royal Flying Doctor Service in Western Australia (RFDS) will celebrate Flying Doctor Day, marking the 94th anniversary of the very first Flying Doctor flight in 1928.
Graphic: Flying Doctor Day celebrates 94 years
On Flying Doctor Day, the RFDS aims to raise $600,000 to purchase critical medical equipment for our fleet of 22 aircraft to ensure we can continue to provide 24/7 emergency healthcare to anyone living, working or travelling in regional Western Australia.
Serving the world’s largest health jurisdiction, 27 people in Western Australia depend on the Flying Doctor’s medical care every single day.
Every donation made on or before Tuesday 17 May to our Flying Doctor Day appeal will be doubled by our generous partners Rio Tinto, Byrnecut, CBH Group and IGO.
Graphic: Rebecca tomkinson
CEO Rebecca Tomkinson said Western Australia now operates the largest RFDS aircraft fleet in Australia, driven by record patient demand for its services.
“The RFDS is helping more people than ever before. We flew more than nine million kilometres in the last year to bring our care to the furthest corners of WA,” Ms Tomkinson said.
“Everything we do is for our patients and we remain committed to addressing the evolving health needs of regional Western Australia, now and into the future.
“We are innovating and growing for the benefit of our patients, and we will continue to stand by Western Australians, as they have generously stood by us for the last 94 years.”
Graphic: RT and Simon Trott
Rio Tinto Iron Ore Chief Executive Simon Trott said this is the second year Rio Tinto has supported Flying Doctor Day, matching community donations dollar for dollar.
“Rio Tinto is committed to improving the health and wellbeing of people living in communities across WA and recognised that the RFDS was essential in ensuring first-class medical care was delivered for all people across the State,” Mr Trott said.
Western Australians can support Flying Doctor Day by:
1. Donating to the Flying Doctor Day appeal. Donations made on or before Tuesday 17 May will be doubled by our generous partners.
2. Purchasing a pair of Flying Doctor Day socks and wearing them proudly.
3. Hosting a fundraiser with your school, community or workplace.
4. Taking part in our ‘Flying Doctor country’ social media campaign and sharing a photo of you in Flying Doctor country in regional WA.
5. Sharing your best photos of WA landmarks lit up in blue and red on the evening of Tuesday 17 May and tagging the RFDS WA on Facebook and Instagram.