The RFDS in VIC
2021 Give Them Wings Scholarships
Eligibility and FAQs
When do applications open this year?
Applications open on Monday 15 March, 2021, at 10am.
When do applications close?
Applications close on Monday 26 April, 2021, at 5pm.
If I am selected for an interview, when and where will these be held?
Interviews will be held in May, 2021, with the location to be determined due to COVID-19. These will potentially be held online, or in our head office in Melbourne.
How many scholarships are available?
In 2021, six scholarships will be awarded, each valued at $4,000.
Who is eligible for these scholarships?
To be eligible, students must be:
- an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- currently studying full time at a Victorian university campus
- in their first year of university
- enrolled in nursing or an allied health discipline
- currently residing in, or have grown up in, regional, rural or remote Victoria
What subjects are included in “allied health”?
“Allied health” includes, but is not limited to, the following studies:
- Aboriginal health work
- Chiropractic care
- Dentistry and Oral health
- Exercise physiology
- Medical imaging
- Nursing and midwifery
- Occupational therapy
- Orthotics and prosthesis
- Psychology and mental health fields
- Social work
- Speech pathology
How are the scholarships funded?
RFDS Victoria is able to offer the scholarships thanks to the fundraising efforts of the RFDS Victoria Bayside Auxiliary and sponsorship from Cooper Energy.
What is included in the scholarship?
In addition to a cheque for $4,000 to help cover university living expenses, each scholarship includes the opportunity to experience a day in the life of a Flying Doctor – either on the road or in the air.
What is required from me if I win?
Each scholarship winner is expected to:
- participate in media and/or event opportunities at the request of RFDS Victoria
- contribute an article about their "day in the life" experience, which will be shared across RFDS Victoria's platforms
- provide immediate notification of withdrawal from or changes to their course of study
Whether or not a scholarship winner is required to repay the scholarship funding if they withdraw from or change their course of study will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
When will the winners be announced?
The winners of the 2021 Give Them Wings Scholarships will be announced in June, 2021. Following this announcement, all winners will be invited to a special event to receive their certificates.
Who can I speak to if I have questions about the scholarships or my eligibility?
If you are unsure whether or not you are eligible to apply for the scholarships, or if you would like further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We wish you the best of luck with your application and your future career!