The Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia (RFDS) is one of the largest and most comprehensive aeromedical organisations in the world. From its Broken Hill Base the RFDS South Eastern Section provides emergency retrievals, inter-hospital transport, regular general practice/primary health clinics, dental services, medical chests and telephone consultations to those living and travelling in far-west NSW, south-west Queensland and northern South Australia. The Section also works with local health services to implement primary health care in the communities served by the Section.
The Royal Flying Doctor Service South Eastern Section is now looking for a Full time / Part time Psychologist to join their Mental Health team to assist in improving the mental health of people living in rural and remote areas by providing greater access to these services. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced psychologist.
This role is based at the RFDS Broken Hill Base and operates a hub and spoke model, flying and driving to remote communities and station clinics within the network. Non-fly days will be spent on Base in Broken Hill for administrative purposes and tele-health appointments. This position is also scheduled to provide a clinical mental health service under Medicare arrangements within the Clive Bishop Medical Centre (CBMC) which is a Medical Practice operating from the RFDS SE base.
- Degree in Psychology
- Postgraduate experience of at least two years or extensive experience in primary mental health care including counselling practice
- Knowledge of current mental health legislation.
- Knowledge of broad range of therapeutic assessment and intervention techniques.
- Ability to conduct mental health consultations by telephone, video conference and web based cameras in the future
- Expertise in the field of counselling with individuals, couples, family and groups.
- Theoretical understanding of a broad range of mental health issues and social and emotional well being problems such as; mental illness and disorders, Domestic and family violence including child abuse, relationship problems, suicide, grief and loss, along with drug and alcohol issues.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to work alone and with minimal supervision
- Experience in rural / remote / population health.
- Experience working in a cross-cultural environment.
- Experience working with rural/remote clients in pastoral settings
Aboriginal Health Workers specializing in Mental Health services are encouraged to enquire.
For more information about the position, please contact Mental Health Manager Vanessa Latham via email Vanessa.Latham@rfdsse.org.au
To apply: Email your cover letter and CV along with copies of your qualifications and details of two referees to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications Close Friday, 5th July 2019
Any published closing dates are estimated, the RFDS SE aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
RFDSSE is an equal opportunity employer