Mental Health Professional – Child and Family (Clinical)
The Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia (RFDS) is one of the largest and most comprehensive aeromedical organisations in the world. From its Broken Hill Base the RFDS South Eastern Section provides emergency retrievals, inter-hospital transport, regular general practice/primary health clinics, dental services, medical chests and telephone consultations to those living and travelling in far-west NSW, south-west Queensland and northern South Australia. The Section also works with local health services to implement primary health care in the communities served by the Section.
The Royal Flying Doctor Service South Eastern Section is now looking for a Full Time Mental Health Professional to join their Mental Health team at Broken Hill. This position assists in improving the mental health of people, including children and their families living in rural and remote areas by providing greater access to mental health services. This position also supports with assessment, therapeutic treatment & intervention including group facilitation and referral on to other mental health specialist services as required. This clinical position works alongside a dedicated child & family community support and health promotion role.
- Degree in Psychology, Social Work, Occupational Therapy, or Nursing with registration with the relevant Board of Registration in New South Wales or, Aboriginal mental health worker qualification.
- Postgraduate experience of at least two years in the field of child, adolescent and family mental health.
- Knowledge of current mental health legislation
- Knowledge and experience of mental health systemic assessments and therapeutic intervention techniques
- Ability to conduct mental health consultations by telephone, email, video conference and web based cameras;
- Expertise in the field of counselling with individuals, couples, family and groups; including child play based therapy and family therapy
- Theoretical understanding of a broad range of mental health issues and social and emotional well being problems such as; mental illness and disorders, domestic and family violence including child abuse, relationship problems, suicide, grief and loss, along with drug and alcohol issues;
- Ability to work alone and with minimal supervision;
- Ability to work collaboratively with external service providers;
- Ability to use and promote effective communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work flexible hours;
- Ability to travel frequently and for extended periods of time by road or light aircraft;
- Current driver’s licence.
- Experience in rural / remote / population health.
- Experience working in a cross-cultural environment.
- Experience working with rural/remote clients in pastoral settings
- Experience working in schools and community group settings to deliver relevant child and family mental health programs
Aboriginal Health Workers specialising in Mental Health services are encouraged to enquire.
For more information about the position, please contact Mental Health Manager Vanessa Latham via email Vanessa.Latham@rfdsse.org.au
To apply: Email your cover letter and CV along with copies of your qualifications and details of two referees to email@example.com
Applications Close Friday, 5th July 2019
Any published closing dates are estimated, the RFDS SE aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
RFDSSE is an equal opportunity employer