Mental Health Clinician - Bushfire Recovery
Proudly serving Australians since 1928, the Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS) provides emergency aero medical and health services for people in rural and remote Australia. RFDS Victoria supports the work of the Flying Doctor throughout Australia and is also growing its services across the State.
In Victoria the RFDS works in partnership with a number of community health organisations across the State to improve the health and well-being of our rural and regional communities. We believe in creating opportunities so all Victorians have the choice to access essential primary health care services. Each year we come into contact with over 80,000 patients throughout Victoria, this includes primary health care and transport by air or on the road.
RFDS are seeking Mental Health Clinicians with experience in trauma and grief counselling to deliver frontline emergency distress and trauma counselling in the Gippsland region. This role will provide emergency mental health care for people affected by bushfires for individuals, families and emergency services personnel under a stepped care approach within a flexible service model - at this time primarily by phone and web-based appointments.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone to provide specialist care to a rural population presenting with grief and trauma symptoms. The successful applicant will need to have the ability to travel to multiple sites across Gippsland and be prepared to be on the road for blocks of days at a time in order to effectively service the Far East Gippsland region.
Clinicians will be part of the Primary Health Care Team and have access to regular clinical supervision. Please note this position is fixed-term until 31st December, 2020. Applications for both full-time and part-time employment will be considered.
Key Skills and Experience
- Tertiary qualification which includes one or more of the following:
- Social Work
- Mental Health Nursing
- Occupational Therapy (Mental Health)
- Experience providing specific trauma and grief counselling, within a model of trauma-informed care
- Willingness to travel and deliver mental health services across Far East Gippsland
- Current driver’s license and Working with Children's Check
- Experience in a rural setting
- 2 years’ clinical experience in Mental Health
- Experience in disaster recovery counselling
- Candidates with accredited with a professional body such as ACA or PACFA will be considered
- Secondments of staff from other organisations are welcome.
- All candidates must meet the required qualifications and standards/ accreditations for their field of practice to provide primary mental health services including continuing professional development requirements.
This is a wonderful opportunity to work for an iconic Australian charity organisation that promotes a supportive and inclusive working culture. If you are interested in working with the Royal Flying Doctors Service Victoria, please provide your CV and a cover letter (no more than 2 pages) addressing the key selection criteria above by COB Friday 5th June, 2020.
RFDS is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.