Only authorized, registered custodians are permitted to manage medical chests. These persons are obliged to meet certain conditions, which include the following.
- A medical chest must be kept locked at all times when not in use.
- The contents of a medical chest must be checked regularly for expired items and general completeness.
- Highlighted prescription drugs are only to be used under RFDS doctor’s instruction.
- Keeping a record of the RFDS doctor’s consultation numbers in a drug register is essential for re-ordering prescription medication.
- The appropriate registration number should be clearly marked on the chest.
- The responsible custodian should advise the RFDS when someone else takes over care and control of the chest.
- There are items that require refrigeration if the chest is unable to be kept in a cool location.
- Medical chests are registered to a location and must not be moved without the permission of the RFDS.
Further details on managing a medical chest please contact the Medical Chest Officer on (08) 9417 6300.