Broken Hill Base
Operations began at the RFDS Broken Hill Base in May 1936.
Broken Hill is the corporate headquarters for the South Eastern Section of the Royal Flying Doctor Service.
- to provide 24 hour emergency retrievals
- to offer 24 hour telephone and radio GP consultations
- to operate a network of primary health clinics where patients can access community health nurses, dentists, mental health staff and allied health professionals
- to facilitate inter-hospital air transfers
- to offer training for medical and health science students in partnership with the University of Sydney, Department of Rural Health.
- our territory includes far west NSW, southwest QLD and eastern and northern South Australia
- our land coverage is approximately 640,000 km²
- we operate six King Air B200 aircraft
- our team consists of medical officers, flight nurses, pilots, engineers, dentists, specialist nursing staff, mental health staff and managerial/ administrative staff
First class facilities
Broken Hill is the only RFDS base in Australia where visitors can see a working RFDS Base in action every day of the week!
Guided tours are available describing the full extent of our aeromedical services. Visitors can view the communications room and, via a viewing platform, they can see our medically outfitted aircraft and the hangar.
Visitors are also welcome to browse through the Bruce Langford Visitor Centre and watch a film about RFDS operations at Broken Hill.
Flying Doctor merchandise can be purchased from the souvenir shop (or from our online shop). All proceeds from sales and admissions go directly towards the vital work of the RFDS.
Bruce Langford Visitor Centre
RFDS, Bruce Langford Visitor Centre
Airport Road, Broken Hill, NSW, 2880
Open 7 days, Monday-Friday 9-5, Saturday-Sunday and public holidays 10- 3.
Closed Good Friday, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Day and Australia Day.
Children 6 and over $3.70
Family $18.50 (2 adults and 2 children under 12yrs)
Concession Holder $5.90
Groups of 10 or more $5.90
Tel 08 8080 3714
Group discounts apply: concession cards accepted. Closed on Christmas Day only.
Image supplied by photographer Peter Bellingham